The word “kijiji” (pronounced like key-gee-gee) means “village” in Swahili. This name was chosen because it captures the essence of what we are creating – a site where people can connect with others in their community.
Kijiji is Canada’s most popular free, local classifieds site. Kijiji offers a convenient, fun, and easy way for people in the same city to buy, sell, trade and help each other out in areas such as goods, cars, services, housing and jobs.
Kijiji is an environmentally friendly way to recycle things you no longer use without leaving your neighborhood. Because Kijiji connections are between people who live near each other, you can always see and touch an item before you buy.
With an easy-to-use format and an amazing variety of local ads, Kijiji is a unique community where everyone is committed to sharing more, wasting less, and making money off the unused possessions cluttering up houses across Canada!
Kijiji was launched in Montreal and Quebec City in February 2005. In November 2005, Kijiji expanded across the rest of Canada and is now in over 100 cities coast to coast. We continue to add new cities where there is high demand, so if you need Kijiji for your area, let us know!
Kijiji Canada exists for one simple reason: life is busy, eh!? It’s a rare day when you’re not doing at least one thing where Kijiji could help: buying a canoe, looking for a job, selling your log cabin, lining up tickets to a hockey game, or just looking for a great deal on just about anything. Life is too busy to deal with iffy classifieds sites. Sites that are not free, simple, and safe enough for your kids to look at — they’re not worth your time. Kijiji strives to be all these things. There’s always “someone home”, and we’re here to help.
Kijiji Quick Facts:
- 40% of Canadians use Kijiji on a monthly basis
- Over 79 million total visits per month
- Over 11 million unique monthly visitors
- Canadians post over 200,000 ads on Kijiji every day
- More than 65 million classified ads are posted on Kijiji every year
- Over 1.5 million new ads weekly
- Over 5.5 million active ads
- There are over 2 million different sellers on Kijiji with an ad on the site right now!
- Every day, Kijiji ads receive over 375,000 replies (and that’s not counting phone calls or text messages)!
- A new ad is posted in Buy and Sell every 1.4 seconds
- A pet ad is posted every 12 seconds
- An autos ad is posted every 3 seconds
- 8800 new classifieds are posted every hour, equivalent to a new ad posted every 0.4 seconds!
- We are the # 1 classifieds site in Canada by a long shot!
What are the largest cities on Kijiji?
Kijii currently has over 100 cities sites across the country!
What are some of the most popular categories?
- Buy and Sell
- Cars & Vehicles
- Real Estate
- Deliver a clean, safe and simple experience
- Use user insights to deliver a better experience
- Provide consumers a free site to list their ads
There are some key posting rules that all users must adhere to:
- No duplicate or similar ads (slightly edited from original)
- Local ads only
- Ads should be posted in the right category/ most relevant category
- No links to other classified/dating/job websites
- No keyword spamming
- No prohibited items
- No slanderous statements
Find us around the web
For media inquiries please contact: KijijiECITeam@environicspr.com
If you require the assistance of our customer support team, contact us by clicking here.