So you’ve applied to live on UBC residence next year and you were just told that you are the 2023th person on the wait-list. Uh oh, what now?
Don’t panic! The good news is you are not alone in this. As hundreds of students are starting the hunt for off-campus housing for the summer and next school year, we here at Kijiji have come up with a few tips for you as you begin shopping for your perfect off-campus home!
Photo via The Vancouver Observer
- First things first: plan out your budget! There is nothing worse than spending money that you don’t have. Make sure to include things like utilities, internet costs, cell phone bills and laundry fees into your calculations.
- Perhaps some of your friends who also didn’t get into residence want to join your search! Ask around. Having roommates is a great way to help pay for things that basic rent may not include.
- Talk to the landlord. Ask questions regarding things such as minimum lease time, amount of security deposit, noise policies, neighbours, etc. In a few weeks, we will be writing another email with a checklist of some of the best questions to ask landlords, so stay tuned!
- Since you will be living off campus, be sure to check out the nearest transit routes to campus to avoid stressful daily commutes.
- Lastly, after finding a place you’re interested in, search comparable rentals on Kijiji or other rental sites to ensure that the rent price is competitive with the rest of the market.
Happy house hunting and may the odds be ever in your favour!