Kijiji Pets Code of Conduct
All ads posted in the Kijiji pets section must comply with the Kijiji Pets Policy and the Pets Code of Practices set out below.
As an advertiser you must comply with all federal, provincial and municipal legislation related to animal protection. Check the relevant government sites for clarification. Any ads found to be breaching applicable laws or by-laws and reported to us for breaching these laws will be subject to removal from Kijiji immediately.
For more information on the Kijiji Pets Code of Conduct, please visit our help page.
What are the rules when posting a Pet on Kijiji?
Please respect the following rules when posting a pet on Kijiji:
- The Animal Pedigree Act makes it a federal offense to sell an animal of a recognized breed as, purebred, registered, or eligible to be registered if it is not.
- The term “purebred” is a confirmation of genetic background and adherence to breed characteristics, in accordance with the requirements of the Act and the by-laws of the authorized breed association.
- The term “registered” is confirmation that all the rules of eligibility of the authorized breed association in Canada have been met.
- If an animal of a recognized breed is sold as purebred, registered or eligible to be registered, the seller is obligated to provide a duly transferred certificate of registration to the buyer not later than six months after the sale.
- Kijiji does not permit any type of Breeding service (such as stud services)
Kijiji does not condone the unethical treatment of animals. We will listen very closely to our community for any reports of unhealthy animals that were offered for sale or purchased. Accounts may be suspended if the complaint is deemed legitimate. Thereafter, if appropriate documentation (e.g., health inspection) is not provided within 3 weeks, Kijiji reserves the right to ban the account. Kijiji prohibits the sale of puppies and kittens under 8 weeks old. Date of birth for these animals must be clearly stated in the ad. Please do not post for sale any animals that are on the endangered species list, Environment Canada CITES website, are wild animals, or animals that are not permitted to be owned or sold in any city in which the ad is being posted or could be considered dangerous to others.
Kijiji is not intended to facilitate uncontrolled breeding or irresponsible commercial pet trading. For this reason, dog breeders are permitted to post a maximum of three(3) breeds only on Kijiji (including mixed breeds).
Prohibited Dog Breeds
There are many dogs, that while they are good breeds, can easily fall into the hands of bad owners or breeders. The following dog breeds are not permitted on Kijiji anywhere in Canada:
- Dogo Argentino
- Cane Corso
- Presa Canario
- Fila Brasileiro
- Wolf Hybrid
- Pit Bull Terrier
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Staffy)
- American Staffordshire Terrier (Amstaff)
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- Any dog that is a mixed-breed of these breeds, and has the characteristics substantially similar to pitbulls
As we cannot provide the proper screening and education required to the potential owners of these animals, Kijiji only accepts ads for these breeds posted by recognized animal shelters and rescues anywhere in Canada.